Tennessee National Guard logo.
Close up photo of a Certificate of Retirement from the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
Retirement Information

After completing 20 years of creditable service for retired pay (m-day) in the Army National Guard, you will qualify for retired pay.


Soldiers pay will begin one month following their 60th birthday and will continue each month after that for the rest of their life. This will add to any other government or private retirement plans for you which you are eligible.




If you have any questions, contact your Personnel Office at

(615) 313-0842.


To make an appointment for application assistance contact:

SFC Teresa M. White at

(615) 313-0621 or by email teresa.m.white30.mil@mail.mil



Procedures for retirement application:


Soldiers are encouraged to apply for retired pay benefits 12 months prior to your 60th birthday. Some Soldiers may qualify for Early-Age Drop retirement under the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2008. Please contact your RSO for additional details.




You will need to take the following documents:


NGB 23D- Notification of Eligibility for Retired Pay (20-Year Letter) or 15-year letter

DD Form 1883 or DD 2656-5: Survivor’s Benefit Election Certificate

Separation Order

Voided Check

NGB 23- Retirement Points History Statement

NGB 22- Report of Separation and Record of Service



You will receive informational brochures for:


- TRICARE Medical and Dental Benefits

- Survivor Benefits




*Approximately 1-2 months prior to reaching age 60, you should receive a Retired Pay Account Statement (RPAS) from DFAS in London, KY.  Additionally you will receive a certificate of service and your retired list order from the U.S Army Human Resource Command (HRC) which is effective on your 60th birthday.


Upon reaching age 60, you and any current dependents that have ID cards will need to have new I.D. cards issued at a military installation. I.D. Card issuances are available daily at the Headquarters on Sidco Drive. The phone numbers for the I.D. Card Office is (615) 313-0854 or (615) 313-0594.


You may also contact TRICARE concerning health insurance by calling their toll free number, 1-877-TRICARE or by using their webpage at http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/.



Contact the Joint Public Affairs Office at:  615-313-0633




In Tennessee, if you or another Servicemember you know is in crisis, call (855) 435-7492 for assistance 24 hours a day,  7 days a week.


If this is a sexual assault issue, contact:



M-F 0700-1700hrs


Safe Helpline

(877) 995-5247

After Hours Support

News button.
Jobs button.
Facebook button and logo.
Twitter button and logo.
Youtube button and logo.
Flickr button and logo.

The appearance of hyperlinks to external sites does not constitute endorsement by the Tennessee National Guard of the linked website or the information, products or services contained therein.  The Tennessee National Guard does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations.  The Tennessee National Guard neither endorses the contents of external communications nor assumes responsibility for any threatening, libelous, obscene, harassing or offensive material contained therein, any infringement of third party intellectual property rights arising therefrom or any crime facilitated thereby.


©2014 Joint Force Headquarters Public Affairs, Tennessee Military Department, Tennessee National Guard





Privacy Act


Contact Us


508 Compliance